Offices in Ventura, Serving Ventura County
See how our 20+ years of experience can be put to work for you.
We explain the general procedure for divorce and let you know what you can expect.
Don't wait to contact our firm. Get a free case evaluation today.

Modifications of Court Orders

What happens if I can't obey a court order?

There are numerous types of court orders than an individual can receive in a divorce-child custody, child support, spousal support, visitation-and these orders must be followed by law. There are some cases, however, where the circumstances of one party change in a way that makes it difficult or impossible to observe the court order. These circumstances call for a court order modification to ensure that the law is not broken and that one party does not suffer due to circumstances outside of their control.

Common causes for modifications of court orders include loss of a job and relocation. When the court has issued a child or spousal support order and the party making monthly payments loses their job (or suffers from wage reduction), they may no longer be unable to afford the rate of payment, or any payments at all. This requires a modification. Likewise, a custodial parent may desire to move and take their child with them, which can interfere with custody or visitation orders. The custodial parent may then petition for a modification of visitation orders so that they can relocate, or the non-custodial parent may desire to fight a wrongful modification that violates their rights. If you need legal assistance with a court order modification, contact Cutter & Lax today.

Hire a Divorce Lawyer in Ventura County, CA

Cutter & Lax is a family law firm that has represented clients in Ventura County and across Southern California for more than two decades. We thoroughly study each client's case to ensure that their rights are not violated and that the best possible results are obtained for their case. Let us help you petition for a court order modification if you have experienced a serious change in circumstance. Contact our firm today by calling our offices or by filling out our free online case evaluation. We are here for you!

Attorney Web Design